Aug 26, 2013

Recipe: Peanut Butter Cookie Fudge

Fluff: Marshmallow Cream
Disclaimer: This is not a healthy recipe; and considering that it's full of peanut butter, it is probably considered a dangerous weapon and banned in most schools in the United States.  I find this funny, considering that I was introduced to the original recipe for the (unadulterated) peanut butter fudge through every school bake sale.  

Several years later I scoured the internet to find a recipe close to that of the cracklike fudge I grew up with.  All I knew was that the secret ingredient was Fluff, and it included no chocolate whatsoever.  I finally found it!  You can find the original recipe here, and it's as good as I remember.

Are there ways to make it "healthier"?  I suppose that you could use freshly ground, low salt peanut butter (or other fancy types of nut butters), or make your own marshmallows to use instead of the fluff, but let's be realistic.  Part of the appeal of fudge (especially this fudge) is the fact that it is NOT good for you. It is a delightful comfort food. It falls into the same category for me as Devil Dogs.  They are not high quality cakes, but they are perfect for what they are, and trying to "improve" them kind of ruins that balance. My advice?  Accept that what you are going to eat is delightful, yet bad for you, and let that thought help limit how much of it you eat.


To Purchase: http://www.shopbiscoff.com/product/32348
In a swag bag at an event recently I got a jar of Biscoff cookie spread.  It is like a cookie, but in peanut butter form. I suppose, like with Nutella, there are people who consider this the greatest thing ever. I am not one of them.  To me it is a little disturbing on it's own. But I saw potential for candy making. Adding this to the peanut butter fudge produces a flavor more in line with cookies like Nutter Butters.







Peanut Butter Cookie Fudge

2 1/2 c. sugar
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 can (5 oz) Evaporated Milk
1 Jar (7 1/2oz) Marshmallow Fluff
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
6 oz Creamy Peanut Butter* 

4 Oz Biscoff Cookie Spread

* The peanut butter provides the bulk of the flavor in this recipe.  If you would not want to eat it straight out of the jar with a spoon, you probably want to use a better quality peanut butter.  Also, as it is a fudge, I recommend not using a no-salt peanut butter.


1. Prepare the container for the fudge to set. Either
  • A 9 inch square pan, either well greased or lined with parchment paper for simple rectangular pieces.
  • Silicone baking/ice cube tray for individually molded pieces 
2. Combine the sugar, butter, evaporated milk, marshmallow fluff, and salt in a large saucepan.  Use a pot larger than you think that you will need, because the mixture will bubble up quite a bit.  You do not want to let it bubble over, as molten marshmallow can cause serious burns (and a huge mess).  Heat on low until the butter melts, and the ingredients are well incorporated.

3. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pot, and increase the heat to medium. Stir continuously, scraping the bottom, until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage (235-245 degrees F).  If the mixture burns to the bottom it will affect not only the flavor, but the texture of the resulting fudge.


Easy recipe, and super tasty!
Star Wars, Doctor Who, and Portal Fudge
4. Remove from heat, and mix in the peanut butter and the cookie spread. Continue stirring until all of the peanut butter and cookie butter are incorporated, and then pour into the container to let the fudge cool and set.  If you choose to use silicone molds, the fudge must cool completely before being removed from the molds. In the picture to the right I did not follow my own advice (as I was testing out some new theories) and the shapes did not come out as cleanly as I would have liked.

2 comments: