Jun 25, 2013

Introduction

Recently I had the following interaction at a party with someone I'd just met.

me: I... make things.
other person: That sounds deliberately vague.
me: Well, there's the candy there, this dress, I think I only have one knitting project in my purse right now, the bar in my house, I bake...
other person: oh, so you just make things.
me: Yeah, pretty much.

I like working with my hands, and I like knowing how things work.  I was the obnoxious little kid who would walk up to someone doing a skill and as "What'cha doing?  Can I try?"  As an adorable child growing up with my parents running a motel, this meant that I ended up allowed to play just about every instrument of the bands who were staying there. Conveniently it was a rural small town, and that situation was not the intro to a Lifetime afternoon movie.

See? Cute as a button!

This also meant that between my parents, school, girl scouts, and the wild wild world of educational toys, I had the opportunity to try a lot of different skills. Knitting, crocheting, embroidery, baking, cooking, camping, building potato clocks, circuit boards, bows and arrows, soap carving, knotting, canoeing, hiking, orienteering, macrame, mowing lawns, picking potatoes, skiing, baseball, swimming, photography, drawing, computer programming, to name a few.  If I had the option, I tried it.  As a note, never, ever, ever, invite me to play baseball.  It won't end well.

I grew up to be the type of person who can never do just one thing at once.  To be fair, I am kind of a magpie for projects. And during difficult times, I tend to take to puritan therapy.  Work more, be productive. This blog is dedicated to what I make/fix/do.  Your guess is as good as mine as to where it will end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment